Bridport is a traditional market town in the West of Dorset. It is set on the River Brit and was once a centre for rope and fishing net manufacturing, with the ropes being exported down the river at Bridport Harbour 1.5 miles to the south which was later renamed as West Bay with the arrival of the railway. The history of the town is documented in the Bridport Town Museum (pictured below right) The front of the Museum is all that remains of a substantial 16th century building that was sold to the council for a nominal sum in the early 20th Century.
Bridport has some fine buildings that attend to its historic status including the town hall and the Church of St Mary. Behind the town hall is Bucky Doo Square where people can congregate to relax. Although there seems no definitive explanation of this unusual name it is possible it is linked to a former pub in the town called the Buck and Doe. A number of other buildings in the town remain unspoilt including a modest Quaker meeting house built in 1697 as pictured below centre.